Whether you are a news organisation, a luxury brand or a digital start-up, using video has a greater impact on the audience experience than text and stills alone. Some of these may be obvious, some may come as a surprise, but here are 10 key things that anyone working in the creative industries should know about online video in terms of promoting themselves, a platform or product.
1. Video will make up more than 79% of internet traffic by 2018 (Cisco).
2. Including video in a landing page can increase conversion by 80% (EyeView).
3. 90% of the world’s internet users go online via a mobile device – and of this one-third of the world’s population – 2.5 billion people – now access social media services on them. So make sure your content is optimised for mobile!
4. YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of all people on the internet (YouTube).
5. And among millennials, YouTube accounts for two-thirds of the premium online video watch across devices (ThinkWithGoogle).
6. In terms of content, 85% of Facebook video is watched without sound (Digiday).
7. Almost 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store (ThinkWithGoogle). Think of what a bad customer experience could mean for your brand.
8. 85% of the US internet audience watches videos online. The 25-34 age group watches the most online videos, and adult males spend 40% more time watching videos on the internet than females. (comScore and Nielsen)
9. According to HubSpot, 80% of customers remember a video they’ve watched in the last month. One of the biggest strengths of video marketing is that it’s highly visual and auditory, which means it’s easier for many users to remember than text-based content.
10. “There is truth in data”, one of the unique things about online video –– is how well we can measure it to understand consumption habits, something firms like Tubular make a business out of.
Find out more about our BA (Hons) Content, Media & Film Production course – launching in October 2018